Saturday, December 18, 2010

pressure.

I feel like I have no where to turn as far as college goes. While at first I did just blame my school, I realized that it is more of a generalized notion rather than just specifically at one place. Majors. What to be when you grow up. What do you want to make of yourself, where do you want to be, is it stable, will you have money? All of those questions come running through your head like it is a word marathon inside your brain. But what are the answers? Now that's the hard part. I'm an English major, and NO. I do NOT want to be a teacher. I say that rudely because that is the first thing I'm asked every time that is my response. And sometimes, for pure entertainment on my part, I reply with: I actually want to write novels. Because apparently there is no such thing as a successful writer anymore. I was not aware of this. I just want to be happy. Is there a job description for that? **Must be a happy person. There isn't, just in case you were wondering. You know, I was sitting on the couch the other night and I was actually watching Sex and the City 2 and all I want to do is be like Carrie - a part-time writer for Vogue, full-time novelist who lives in what I'd consider an extremely nice apartment and has enough clothes for a small army. I understand that it's just a television show, but let's face it - Sex and the City has become a voice for many types of women - the freespirited and love challenged Carrie, the sex addict Samantha, the work-a-holic Miranda and the innocent Charlotte. There's a little of the Sex and the City girls in all of us, but it's up to us to make it happen I guess. But how? How do you live this "high life" while only writing for a magazine or just simply majoring in English? I feel like the only way to be successful anymore is to become a nurse or a teacher. Well clearly the nursing route did not work out for me, although it drives me insane on a daily basis that I could not do it. And I'm sorry, but I have no desire to be a teacher and if I have no desire, then I'm not going to be a very effective one now am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment